INNOVATE TO ENABLE
Philippe is a passionate believer in the efficiency gains that may be achieved through digitalization of what was for he and his former colleagues, a highly manual and increasingly difficult sales function to perform. In a world of branded products, opaque offerings from MedTech suppliers that are difficult for healthcare providers to compare on a like-for-like basis, and reducing margins resulting from regulatory changes and consolidation in the industry, Philippe felt the time right to leave his job at Boston Scientific and embark on a new mission.
His mission, and now our collective mission at hystrix medical, is to drastically accelerate everyday processes in the healthcare sector and to realise substantial efficiencies for healthcare providers and MedTech suppliers alike.
Being the merging node between suppliers and buyers of medical products, implants and related services, hystrix medical was formed to act initially as an online marketplace and over time to develop into a true hub of healthcare market information.
With our first product, the hystrix medical marketplace, we make it possible for all market actors to participate and collectively benefit from the differentiation now possible between those commodity-type products that they formerly sold or purchased via expensive sales channels (including own employees and 3rd party distributors), and those products that require a higher level of touch and pre-and-after sales support.
EUROPEAN AND SWISS MEDTECH INDUSTRY – KEY FACTS & FIGURES
- In 2017 Medical Technology (“MedTech”) sales in Europe were estimated at €115 billion, or 27% of the world market. The European MedTech market is the second-largest market after the US (43% of the world).
- According to Eucomed, more than 500,000 products (10,000 generic groups) are available today.
- Medical technology includes everyday products such as wheelchairs, insulin pens, pregnancy tests, surgical instruments, bandages, latex gloves, spectacles, hearing aids, syringes, and sticking plasters.
- Meanwhile, at the high-tech end of the scale, it includes life-support machines, tissue-engineered skin for burns or ulcers, implantable devices such as heart valves and pacemakers, neurostimulators and replacement joints for knees and hips, among other items.
- MedTech products typically have a lifecycle of only 18-24 months before an improved product becomes available.
- According to the latest report from MedTech Europe (“The European Medical Technology Industry – in figures / 2019”) more than 675,000 people are employed by MedTech companies in Europe, with Germany having the highest absolute number of people employed, while Ireland and Switzerland have the highest number of MedTech employees on a per capita basis.
- There are 27,000 MedTech companies in Europe. SME’s make up almost 95% of the industry, the majority of which employ less than 50 people.
- In 2019 healthcare spending in Switzerland is expected to reach c. CHF90 billion, of which more than CHF11 billion will be spent on MedTech products.
- Since 1996, the net wage index in Switzerland has increased cumulatively by 25% over the past 20 years and by 1.1% annually.
- Over the same period, adult premiums and OKP costs have grown by around 150% or 4.6% annually.
THE PEOPLE BEHIND HYSTRIX MEDICAL: PRACTICAL EXPERTISE COMBINED WITH COMMERCIAL SKILL AND A GREAT DEAL OF ENTHUSIASM
- Founded hystrix medical AG in 2017.
- Previously employed at Boston Scientific AG from 2013 – 2017 where he was most recently Managing Director Switzerland and Division Manager Interventional Cardiology Austria.
- From 2007 to 2012, Philippe was employed in various sales and field engineering roles at St. Jude Medical (Schweiz) AG, Zürich.
- Philippe holds an Global Executive MBA from Rotman University of Toronto, Canada and an MBA from the University of St. Gallen, Switzerland)
- He also holds a Master’s Degree in Industrial Management and Manufacturing with majors in Biomedical Engineering and Supply Chain Management, as well as a Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering from the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH), Zürich
- Extensive international experience spanning 12 years at JPMorgan in various functions, most recently as a Corporate Banker in Zürich where he was responsible for the bank’s relationship and sales growth among an international portfolio of large multinational corporate clients
- 7 years of corporate risk management experience at both JPMorgan and previously at Moody’s Investors Service, with job postings in Sydney, Hong Kong, New York and London.
- Board Member of the Australian Swiss Chamber of Commerce with a focus on the startup/SME community
- Highly focused on the international application and development of the hystrix medical mission
- Jonathan holds a BA in Commerce from the University of Sydney with majors in Finance and Accounting
- With over 20 years of experience in IT Engineering and software development, Roman brings an extremely valuable skillset to the hystrix team.
- Roman joins the hystrix team full time in September from Actelion Pharma Schweiz AG where he has worked for the last 8 years, most recently as Head of Global Business Process Applications.
- From 2001 – 2008, Roman was Head of Executive Information Systems at Novartis and has performed various other IT Engineering projects through his own company, Tanyx GmbH.
- Roman has a Post Doc degree in Molecular Modelling, and wrote his Doctoral dissertation on Molecular Modelling Omptimising Algorithms.
- He also holds a BA in Chemistry from the University of Basel.
- Joined hystrix medical AG in January 2019 as fourth member of the executive management team.
- Prior to that she worked for eBay from 2011 – 2018 where she most recently held the position of Director Buyer Growth and Marketing Innovation Europe.
- Between 2005 to 2011, Maren was at Procter & Gamble International SA , Geneva in different marketing functions, i.e. global brand design and delivery, regional go-to-market and shopper management with major key accounts in travel retail.
- Maren holds a Masters in European Business from ESCP Europe, London – Paris – Madrid & Berlin.
- She also holds a BA (hons) degree in Economics, Politics and Public Policy from University of London, Goldsmiths College, London.
Lead Product Category Manager
Business Development Manager
Digital Marketing and Communications Manager
Development Manager / Senior Web Architect
Full Stack Developer
Members of the Board
- Founder & CEO of Dydon AG, a leading provider of bespoke market information for an active Risk & Compliance Management utilizing Artificial Intelligence & Machine Learning technology.
- Serial entrepreneur and strategic investor in small and mid-cap corporations with an IT and industry focus. His passion is the creation of new business ideas and the building of respective IT focused corporations.
- Founded Avanon AG in 1999 which became a leading vendor of a cross-industry IT solution for governance, risk and compliance management. Avanon was acquired by Thomson Reuters GRC in 2012.
- CEO at Digitec Galaxus AG. Digitec is Switzerland’s online market leader in the fields of IT, consumer electronics and communication.
- Galaxus is the largest Swiss online shop with a steadily growing range including categories such as “Home”, “DIY + Garden” and “Sports + Recreation”.
- Highly successful career since founding Digitec in 2001 and later Galaxus in 2012 with sales in 2017 up 19% YoY to CHF861MM and an employee headcount of some 1200 people.
- Since 2016, Galaxus has been using a marketplace model that allows external retailers to sell their products via galaxus.ch
- Florian sees tremendous opportunity for digitization to disrupt the MedTech industry in Switzerland and abroad and to realize valuable efficiencies for all players
- Investment Principal at Zühlke Ventures AG having worked for Zühlke since 2013
- Before he moved to Zühlke Ventures in 2017, he held the roles of Business Unit Manager and Business Solution Manager in the Software Development Department of Zühlke Engineering AG
- Stephan and the Zühlke Ventures AG team were lead investor in hystrix medical’s successful seed finance round which closed in June, 2018.
- Zühlke Ventures support high-tech start-ups from early stage to exit and provide hystrix medical with a valuable network, professional and intensive support and a true partnership approach to value creation.
Stephan "Essi" Fischer
- Long-standing experience as start-up entrepreneur, CEO and in the board of directors of IT service providers, as well as in coaching start-up companies in the online & IT field
- Before he started to support start-ups with his experience in 2014 as an independent consultant, he successfully founded 2 companies, PIDAS and 1eEurope (today Allgeier Switzerland)
- As a member of the hystrix board of directors Essi is the representative of the StartAngels Network, the main investor in the 2nd seed financing round
- The StartAngels Network, a leading Zurich early-stage angel investor community, supports start-ups not only with financing but also with coaching and contacts
TRUST IN QUALITY – HYSTRIX MEDICAL MADE IN SWITZERLAND
At the heart of an innovation such as the hystrix medical marketplace lies the sharing of knowledge and the integration of competence. The innovation dynamism which is hystrix medical’s hallmark can only be achieved and maintained by working together in an interdisciplinary network of experts involved in product development, research and business development – because the end of one development is for us the start of the next development.
In addition to new products, we are also committed to ensuring that the hystrix medical marketplace is expanded in due course to additional markets beyond Switzerland on the basis of sound market intelligence and deep due diligence.